If you are interested in obtaining a teaching position in a great city that is active but does not have as much hustle and bustle as London, Birmingham is a great option. Birmingham offers living at a cheaper price while still offering many of the same perks that London can provide. If the idea of teaching in a fun city while living in a trendy area suits your fancy, find this teaching job in Birmingham now. Otherwise, this article will provide some tips to finding a great teaching job in Birmingham.
- Teacher’s job agency. You can certainly research vacant teaching positions online on your own but if you are having trouble or simply want assistance in finding the right job, consider hiring a teacher’s job agency. An agency can help you find exactly what you are looking for down to the grade, subject, compensation package, and city. Hiring an agency will take most of the stress out of your job search so you can concentrate on other things.
- Build your resume and cover letter. When you start any job search, you want to make sure that your resume and cover letter are up to par with the position that you are applying for. When at all possible, be sure to tailor your resume and cover letter to mirror the position qualifications. Be sure that the information you provide is truthful and honest and make sure you highlight areas that could be of particular interest. For example, if you are interested in landing a position that teaches social studies, you will want to highlight your experience in teaching the subject.
- Research teaching certifications and visa information. When you are in the process of applying for teaching positions, be sure to find out if your credentials will transfer to UK standards. It is also a good idea to research whether or not your potential job will offer a sponsorship for your visa. If not, it may be a challenge to get a visa.
- Find a place to live. When moving abroad, you will want to spend a great deal of time researching the neighborhoods in the city in which you want to live. You may want to consider hiring a realtor to help you find a trendy flat for the price you can afford in an area that is desireable. Finding a place on your own could turn disastrous if you are not familiar with the area.
- Network with others. If you choose to take a job overseas, you will want to try to network with others who have taught in the school district you are looking to teach in. Meeting others and hearing their thoughts and advice on how to be successful in your teaching role can help you a great deal. They may also give you some tips on aspects of the job or living arrangements that you had never even considered. For example, perhaps there is a less expensive way to move overseas than shipping your belongings.